Blocking in your painting is the proper method for a successful watercolor. Try this procedure and you'll be more satisfied with your finished painting.
1. Work large to small
2. Paint from background to foreground - keep repeating as painting progresses
3. Work from light to dark
4. Work colors more intense first to less intense or grayed down colors. The secret to a good painting is in the tone-down colors when finishing a painting.
- Lights are lighter near you and get darker as they recede to the horizon.
- Darks are darker nearer to you and get lighter as they recede to the horizon.
- This will give you depth in your painting.
Value manipulation for your focal point is always adjusted to your composition. Never work in one area or spot too long, moving around the painting so it comes to a completion which is strong not spotty.