Picture taking, sketches, and finally your painting.
- Dale L Popovich IWS
There is more to starting a painting than picking up the brush. You must plan - 75% of your work is in the planning. Here are the steps to follow:
- Adjust the composition by creating 3 to 5 sketches and simplify subject matter.
- Do several value sketches of the subject matter. Study the light and dark pattern.
- Create an accurate drawing. Make sure your perspective is spot on, proportions look good and composition works.
- Don't rush! Spending time will produce rewarding results.
- Always paint from background foreground.
- Large areas to small.
- Values - light to dark.
- Intense color to grayed.
Following these steps will create a more satisfying experience and stronger painting.