I was wondering what would happen if I added salt to the water in my spray bottle. So I tried experimenting with proportions of salt and water. In my latest test, I am sharing with you today, I used coarse kosher salt with the proportions below. Note: I was afraid iodized salt may hurt the final painting later in the future.
I mixed up a quarter cup of kosher salt to 16 ounces of water in a spray bottle and left it overnight. Shake it several times to help dissolve the salt. Made sure the salt has dissolved before using. Also, mark the spray bottle SALT and with your formula proportions.
I did three tests with this:
- In the first example, I sprayed on the solution when the paint was wet.
- The second example I sprayed on the solution again when I was semi-dry.
- And the last example I sprayed on the solution when it was almost dry.
I found that the semi-dry example works best. It created a very subtle effect compared to sprinkling salt directly onto the semi-wet pigment. When I sprayed it on the very wet pigment, it did not give me the desired effect. And the third one when the paint was almost dry it did not give me the desired effect I was looking for. So the second example, semi-wet I felt was best.
Note: In all three examples are used burnt sienna and ultramarine blue different combinations. In watercolor, I’ve stated many times to my students, timing in watercolor is everything. Waiting for the right moment. This is one of the aspects of watercolor there cannot be taught only anticipated through experience. So when I did the experiment, I was really watching how much moisture was on paper before I applied the salt.
- My suggestion is to experiment with different combinations:
- Types of salt: i.e., Himalaya salt, pickling salt...
- The ratio of salt to water
- The different wetness of the pigments on the paper
- Keep a notebook on your experiments
- Mark the spray bottle SALT and formula proportions
I would like to see your test results. Please share on my Facebook page. Don't forget type of salt, proportions, clearly label each photo and if you did something different than my tests let me know.