Painting abstract patterns in nature without a pencil drawing
We are happy to announce we will be releasing a new online watercolor course on Summer, 2019.
Sign-up date to be released soon.
This course was created for you, the first-time watercolor artist, maybe you haven’t picked up a brush in a few years or you are looking for a few tips. Join me as I walk you through what it takes to create a powerful watercolor all in the comfort of your own studio.
Watercolor is a versatile painting medium for a wide range of expressions from representational paintings to loose and fluid abstracts. In this course, I will walk you through a technique called wet-into-wet. The purpose of a painting such as this is to work to keep all edges soft.
I will share with you my personal approach to painting abstract patterns in nature without a pencil drawing. This could be scary but it's also very freeing and remember nature is very forgiving
I will show you how to:
• Play with just the large light and dark shapes to create the landscape
• Build-up the layers of watercolor getting the darks darker
• Lifting some lights to create with some freedom a finished painting
• How to work with some new art materials:
- This painting was done on indigo paper
- QOR paints
- And my newest purchase of three cat tongue brushes
This course is done as a Paint-Along. You will learn:
- Start thinking about your painting before you put down a single brush stroke
- Dale Popovich’s personal Artist’s Notes
- The importance of a Value Study and how to do it the right way
- Best supplies to get the job done
- Step-by-step instruction
- Find out how to lay rich, intense color down fearlessly
- Techniques of blending color and glazing
- Learn how to get the best results
- PLUS fun, special effects with the medium
- Popovich’s personal supply list in PDF format
- Printable Photo Reference
- Printable Value Study
- 3 Paint-Along demonstration video lessons (over an hour)
- The video includes a picture-in-picture of paint mixing tray
- Printable steps #1 and #2 of paintings
- Final printable finished (step #3) painting
- Before You Pick-Up Your Brush: part 1 - (10:00 minutes):
- STEP #1: The Block-In (13:06)
- STEP # 2: Establishing Secondary Masses (14:45)
- STEP # 3: Final Details (12:09)
- STEP # 3: part 2: Final Details (13:47)
- Comments area to post your watercolor questions
Dale L Popovich IWS
Dale is an award-winning watercolorist and teacher passionate about capturing the raw beauty of the American landscape with the fluid stroke of a brush. As you will see, the works selected in his portfolio represent the depth of his holistic approach to painting. You can also learn with this talented and experienced teacher through his workshops, Palette & Chisel, and Popovich Studio classes.